Wednesday, February 24, 2016

February 15, 2016

Kitten!!




It has been a pretty crazy week here in Modesto. Yesterday at church we had a Regional Broadcast and it was quite interesting. I had never seen one of those done before. James J Hamula spoke and so did Elder Dale G. Renlund spoke and so did Bonnie L Oscarson. It was a really good conference and it included over 80 stakes in California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington. They talked about the importance of actively living the gospel and not being dormant. It was a really good reminder that if we want to help Heavenly Father in His kingdom, we've got to work for it.

We are still working with Jessica. She chose her baptismal date to be for this Friday, her birthday. I feel a little bad because I'm lacking a little bit of faith. It just has been so long that we have been working towards it and it is still the one thing holding us up. The branch really doesn't think that it is going to happen, which also makes me sad. I'm praying for the faith to believe that it will happen and the Fidel uses his agency for good. Jessica says she is so excited to meet my mom and dad. She talks about that at almost every lesson. She says "I can't wait until I'm a member and you come back with your parents and I get to meet them." She is seriously the CUTEST. I have a picture of the family on the back of my planner and all her girls know everyone and who is my sibblings and what not. I love that family so much. 

We had a cool miracle this week. So remember me telling you about Alberto and his family and how we started teaching them? Well, we gave them a little break because his cousin gave me the creeps. I just felt like that we needed to give them a little pause. Which we both felt good about. Well, this week we felt like it was time to go see them again on Saturday. We went over and his mom was in the kitchen with him and  his dad. Alberto said he was too dirty to meet with us, we would have to wait until he was showered. SO we went in and started to talk to his mom and his dad. Every time before this one, his mom (Maria) would run out of the room before we could talk to her. We started to ask her question and she said "Girls, look. I don't mind you coming over and talking to my kids, but to be honest with you, I'm Mormon. I don't want to argue with you but I don't want to change either. So come to talk to my kids, but I don't want to switch." Hna Pimentel and I looked at each other and we just DIED laughing. I said "Hermana, somos mormones tambien!" and she said "de veras?" We then died laughing and bonded. They had just recently moved to Patterson from LA or somewhere like that and she couldn't find a church anywhere (because it is in Crows Landing) she was so happy to know that her kids were meeting with missionaries. They committed to come to church (although they didn't because their dad kept them up to 5 in the morning) and the FHE we are having tonight at the church. She gave the prayer and cried the whole time. It was so cute. Then she told us about how her nephew (the cousin that was giving me the creeps) really does have interest in the church. He had to go to LA for some time though, so it will be awhile till we teach him again. 

It has been a really good week. We have seen a lot of miracles and we are getting a lot of work done. I'm so thankful for this transfer and for all the progress we are seeing. There have been a lot more up than there have been downs and I'm so thankful for that. I love you and hope you are doing great. 

Love, 
Hermana Porter
 
 
Almond Trees



 

No comments:

Post a Comment