Friday, October 2, 2015

September 28, 2015

Week One with a Newborn

This week has been so crazy and this p day has probably been the craziest day of the weeks thus far. SO news, my companions names are Hna Martinez and Hna Maya. They are the cutest things in the whole world. They both speak Spanish from birth but they were basically raised in the US so they speak perfect English. (thank goodness) We are opening a new area basically and so things here have been pretty stressful. We have some really high hopes for this next transfer and I'll tell you about some of those in a moment.

So we got together on Tuesday and we didn't get home that night until 10:35. IF you know anything about missionary life you know that we are suppose to be sleeping at 10:30 so we started off on a bad note. The zone leaders came and unloaded all of our stuff for us and we didn't get into bed until around 11:30. The bad news is that we moved into the grossest place ever. It is super dirty and almost none of the appliances work. Our shower, doesn't work. Hot water, doesn't work. Sinks, don't work. Luckily Hna Carpenter and Sheffer came over on Saturday and helped us clean quite a bit. We got one sink working (turned out it was just clogged with Elder hair...we all almost threw up.) The shower and kitchen sink are still broken though. We have a plumber who is coming to fix that this evening though. Also we don't have a place to do laundry so we are hoping to recruit one of our members to help us with that. (we can't find a laundry mat either)

We have had one super powerful lesson thus far this week. We went to see a drop (who Elder Perry actually taught) whose name is Olga. She is the nicest woman ever. The lesson was struggling. I was talking the entire time and I'd try to get the Hnas to talk but we'd just sit in awkward silence and then finally I was like "hnas, explain this scripture to her." as soon as they started talking the spirit came SO strong. Olga was feeling the spirit, I was feeling the spirit, they were feeling the spirit. it was an amazing experience. They explained to her Alma 7:11-13 and they did such an amazing job. 

Another spiritual experience we had is that Elder Graham (WE ARE BACK TOGETHER!) Challenged us to pray to know how many baptisms our area could have this next transfer. We gathered in our apartment last night and we started to pray to know how many people the Lord would have us find and help come unto baptism this transfer. WE started out thinking it was only 3, 5, 8. Then we prayed for the next hour and decided it was 8. The spirit testified to us hard core that that is what we needed to be doing. But here is thing. On Sunday we went to church and our branch is tiny. I thought Lodi was small, this is smaller x10. WE had about 27 members there. So we also set a goal for people we wanted to help reactivate as well. WE all came up with the same number which was 15. President Palmer came and talked to us. He said that he know we can make this ward 500x more populated than it is now in the 3 transfers that we are expected to be there. That means that we need to make our branch grow from 27 members to 147 members. WE are ready to work and find those who the Lord has prepared for us. 

I am struggling a little with training. I feel a little inadequacy and I'm not sure how much I should be saying or doing or what ever. Hna Hurley was such a good training and I'm not living up to her but I'm doing the best I can. She just always seemed so composed and that is not me. But I'm learning that I just need to make Christ my focus and I will do good enough. 

I'm sorry this week is a little short. We had to come to a library and we only get 45 minutes. Hopefully next week it will be better. I love you all! have a good week. 

Love, 
Hermana Porter

P.s. The library wont let me send pictures. You'll have to wait until next week! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment