Wednesday, October 7, 2015

October 5, 2015

This week has been crazy, seriously crazy. Here is a play by play. 

So Monday we went to dinner with the Gutierrez family. They are SO funny I love them so much. We had dinner twice with them this week so we have gotten to know them fairly well. Anyways, Hna Martinez has been suffering with this horrible cough for two weeks. Well, we were mid spiritual though and she got a coughing attack. She got up to go get a cough drop and then on her way there, barfed all over their floor. It was quite the traumatic experience, for all of us. Hna Gutierrez was so concerned that it was her food that had made her throw up but it was just the cough. Hna's kids thought the whole thing was quite comical as well as me and Hna Maya. Well, that night we had to go wait at home anyway for a plumber for come and fix our shower because we had been bathing with a cup for about 4 days and finally we called someone about it because we were tired of it. The plumber said he would be by sometime after 6 but we waited until 8:45 with no luck. Hna Martinez was so sick so we called Elder Graham and Elder Jarvis to give her a blessing. Bless their souls they took the 45 minute car drive out to our area and helped a sista out. 

Tuesday we had appointment after appointment, but guess what. Not a single one was there. WE spent most of the day walking around looking for people to teach. It came up with no luck.We had a lesson that night with a lady named Maria. She is really lonely and is mostly looking for someone to talk to. We were there way longer that we should have been listening to her talk about Catfish. Who knew someone could have a one sided conversation about Catfish for 45 minutes...we sure didn't.  

Wednesday looked a lot like Tuesday. We spend a lot of our days "finding" with almost not luck. We feel that this week is our week though. WE are getting maps of all of our areas and we are determined to talk to everyone and their dog about the message of the Restoration. I want these Hermanas to know what missionary work is, not wondering around aimless. We tried door after door with not a lot of success. 

Thursday we had to wake up early to take Hna Martinez to the doctor so we could get some medication for her cough. Turns out she had a upper respiratory infection so it was a good thing we went to the doctor. Right after the doctor we had to go to Turlock for a zone training. Elder Torres gave it was it was really good. He talked about making sure we follow the spirit. We watched quite a few videos on President Monson and his life experiences. I learned a lot. Elder Torres made sure he pointed out when we were feeling the spirit and that we were writing down the revelation that we were receiving. He asked us who we wanted our role model to be. I decided I wanted mine to be Jesus Christ. I can always count on Him to have the perfect example of whatever quality I want to emulate. That is why this week I started to study the New Testament. Let me tell you, I love that little book. Anyways, at the zone training, Sister Palmer was there and she wanted to come and look at our apartment. When she got there, she was appalled. She kept saying "This isn't safe" "This isn't clean" "WE have GOT to get you out of here." I don't know if it was lucky or not, but the land lady was happening to come that day to check if we actually needed a plumber to come and fix the apartment. Let me tell you, we actually did. Sister Palmer had words to say with here and there was a little bit of an argument. It ended with us having our 30 day notice and having a plumber come the next day. 

Friday, we spend all day shut into the apartment. The plumber was suppose to be there at one and didn't get there until 5. Say what? By 4:30 I was over it and I called Sister Palmer crying. She told me we were in luck cause we would be moving out on Monday. OH boy was I happy! We were all happy. During our companionship inventory we all said the thing that made us the most angry this week was the fact that we had to stay in the apartment so much. We were excited to get out of there. We were also suppose to have dinner with the Aldana family but we though she had called to cancel 5 minutes before the appointment. Turns out it was our 7:00 canceling so we didn't show up to dinner. WHoopsies. Hna Aldana called at 6:30 asking where we were. It was a big misunderstanding but we got it cleared up. Not a good way to make a first impression. Hopefully there is not hard feelings. 

Saturday and Sunday were conference filled days. This conference was so good! I LOVE conference so much. Sometimes I wish it was every weekend. I learned so much and I have so many things that I am excited to work on. Some of my favorite talks were President Monsons, President Eyryings and President Nelson, and Elder Holland. I learned so much from these men. I got to make sure I am doing what I know to be right and being a light to the world and a defender of the believers. This is not the time for us to sit on the sidelines and watch, we have GOT to ACT. What I am today will to be good enough for who I need to be next week. I've got to be continually trying and becoming better. I've got to have to the Holy Ghost as a constant companion. If not, I will not be strong enough to fight in the spiritual battles of the future. I'm so thankful for the Prophet and apostles and the guidance that God gives to us through them. I'm thankful for the growing I have to do in the next 6 months and for the rest of my life. 

This week in my studies I finished 2 Nephi and I'm almost done with Jacob. I actually understood quite a bit of 2 Nephi. I'm not sure if I should be proud or worried that I'm understanding the Isiah chapters of the Book of Mormon. I think I should be happy? 

Alright, I love you all and I hope you have a great week! Make good choices and write me a letter! 

Love,
Hermana Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment