Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2, 2015

My District


This week has been great. I don't have a lot of cool stories but I tried to make this letter home really interesting. Enjoy. 


Did you ever get boots?  It looks like you are due some rain this week.
No. I never did get boots. I also broke my rain jacket. By broke I mean ripped the armpit out. How that happened? I haven't an inkling of a clue. I'm going to the mall today so maybe I'll keep my eyes out for those two things...If I'm being honest I am probably just going to buy some cardigans.

How are your clothes holding up?
Pretty good.  I feel like I wear the same 4 outfits every day and I get sick of that. The clothes themselves are holding up really well. I need to start not drying my clothes. It is really hard though because our apartment is really small and we don't have room for every one's clothes. Plus Hermana Cuesta is a neat freak, you thought I was bad, and wont let me hang them anywhere besides my room. Other than that, they are great.

How's your teaching pool?
Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. 
That describe it enough for you? Our goal this week is just to find. We have 2 people that we are teaching that we have been for forever. (Lula, she will probably be dropped soon. and Lourdes. She is great just hard to get ahold of because...well I'm not sure.)
We plan on working really hard this next week to get us some people to teach especially me and my next companion (because transfers are next week. So stop sending stuff to the house by like Wednesday?) We are praying for milagros and hoping to find those people who need to be taught in our area. 

How's the re-activation work going?
Kind of at a stand still as well. Hermana Gigger isn't quite as passionate about re-activation as I am so we have cut back on it. However I think she is starting to see the blessings of it because Jonathan Perez came to church yesterday for a fireside. He didn't come to actual church but he came to a fireside. That is the first time he has come to something that didn't provide dinner and was church related in over 5 years. He said, "Well I just needed an invitation" as soon as he said that I said "Well. then we would like to formally invite you to church on Sunday." He told us he worked but the would think about it. His brother gets home from his mission this Wednesday and I think that is softening his heart a lot.

What is the best thing that happened this week?
On Saturday I wore pants all day because we were doing SERVICE! It was such a fun day. We spent from 9 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon helping people register for a marathon. I spent that whole time on my feet handing shirts to them. Then from 3 until 5 moving Hermano Allan with the Hmong elders. It was a great day. I was so exhausted by the end of they day it was crazy.

Have you had a Zone Conference lately?  If so, how was it?
We actually just had zone conference this week. It was great. We talked about using the scriptures when teaching. Teaching FROM the scriptures not WITH the scriptures. One thing I learned is that when we teach FROM the scriptures the investigators are actually teaching themselves. We ask questions that apply to that scripture and the apply it and learn from the spirit. ALSO crazy thing. I know a missionary in this mission!!! His name is Elder Seaman, Matthew Seaman. He went to EFY with me and was in my company for 4 years. It is crazy.

Who leads your district meetings?  How often do you have those?

Welp, the district leader leads the district meeting...and we have them once a week. We have them every Thursday unless we have zone training or zone conference. But they are great except for the fact that they are in Spanish....

Do you need gloves or a hat or anything like that?
Nope. I am not cold what so ever. Rain coat?

Are you understanding more Spanish?
Yes. Well it actually depends on the day. Some days  I feel really confident in my Spanish but then other days I don't..so it really depends. But when I am feeling it I am really feeling it. If that makes sense great. If not....sorry.

Are you still seeing the counselor?
Yes. Nancy is crazy. I canceled this week to see how I would do with out her. I am doing great this week so I hope that I can maybe stop going next week? We will see. I am feeling so much back to myself. 


I also got a lot of letters this week! Thanks to all that sent them. I got some letters from Bekah Landers, Jozi, Roxanne, Joleen, Judy, Mom, Laura Hodgkins, and I got a package from Mom and Amanda. Amanda that package was TOO much. The chocolate man...inappropriate. But I loved it! haha and YES I will be your Valentine. Thanks for the love and support! I love it! 

Also, Happy Birthday to my brother James.  The groundhog himself.  Hope you have a great day.


Alright. I love you all! Have a great week. 


Love, 
Hermana Porter

Elder Durtschi and The Orange
 Service with Elder Durtchi, Elder Kittleson, and Elder Barton

 Our Elders when practicing as song.  Yes, I did sing Alto.

 Elder Seaman (the person I knew before my mission)
 Us helping Hno. Allan move.
 The Elders are Elder Steidley and Elder Simms.
The Hermanas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment