Monday, November 10, 2014

November 10, 2014

Missionary Selfie

TUESDAY
We had a "new missionary" meeting with President and Sister Jardine and also the Assistants. We split off and we got to talk about some of the problems we were having. A LOT of people are shotgunning and having no investigators, it is nice to know that we are not alone. haha 

We went to dinner at the Rodriguez house and spent some time with her. She said that it was nice to get some adult time because she is surrounded by her kids 24/7. It is weird that she considered me an adult. 

In the evening we went to see how Hna Baltazar was doing.  She is a stellar woman. She continues to put on a happy face for her kids even when it is something that would shut a normal person down. She has so much faith in the Lord, it is amazing.  

WEDNESDAY
Also known as exchanges day 1. I went out with Hna Sheffer and Hna Gomez. We had a great day. Some things I learned. 

Contact, contact, contact. That is how you get investigators. Talk to every person you see. That is what makes the difference. 

We are not lazy, missionary work is just slow sometimes. It goes through phases of having a ton of investigators and then for some reason they all get dropped and have a few and the people you are contacting are not giving you return appointments. That is okay though because this is the Lords work and he has you doing what you need to do. 

THURSDAY
Exchanges day 2. I went out with Hna Skidmore. The crazy thing was though that the night before we got a call on their phone. When she looked at it was her dad's cellphone number. She had me pick it up and it was her mom. She said that she needed to talk to her. Turns out her dog had died. It was SO sad. 

Today, I found out why that dog had meant so much to her. Personal reasons but it reminded me a lot of Cincy. It was super sad but it got me to thinking about a lot of things and the things I am grateful for, one of which is Cincy. 

I also learned that the success I have as a missionary is determined by how much work I put into it. All the factors of success are things that I control and are not dependent on other people's agency. That is so great to realize and now I feel a lot more successful as a missionary. 

In district meeting today Elder Rindlesbacher talked about how we need to make decisions together as a companionship because if one companion decides to do something and the other isn't on board it creates contention. That is so true. I really think that communication is key. There are times where Hna Hurley makes decisions and doesn't tell me and then we get frustrated because we haven't communicated. That is so important. Just express your feelings because a lot of time it is just miscommunication. 

FRIDAY
I biked for the first time. Also, we went and met some of the appointments that were set up on exchanges. We have a really awesome lady named Lula who I have high hopes for. She is so nice and I think that she has been prepared for the gospel. She sat and listened to us and talked about a few other things. I have high hopes. 

SATURDAY
There was a service project in the morning for the city of Sacramento. It was fun to get involved with the community. 

We went to a baptism for one of the Elders investigators. It was so beautiful and the spirit was extremely strong. She had invited a lot of nonmember friends and they ALL wanted missionaries to come and talk with them after being there. It was beautiful. 

I got to go to bed early this night because we had to skip lunch hour and dinner hour so we went home right after the baptism, it was nice to have the extra sleep. 

SUNDAY
We saw a lady with Alzheimers today. She is a less active but only because she can't remember that she was baptized into the Mormon church. She couldn't remember anything we talked about. It was really sad but she was so nice. She lives with her son who is disabled and he is the only person she can really remember. It was a spiritual time even through it was really sad.

We had a lesson with a lady named Selena. She is an investigator. We explained to her church and prayer. She said that she was interested. This is our second time meeting with her. 

MONDAY
We are going to play sports and then tonight we have FHE with the Ramirez family. I hope everything goes well with that. The daughter is crazy but so cute. We are excited to see them again. 

Mom, transfers are next Wednesday. I will be writing on Tuesday because P-day is changed on transfer weeks. So stop sending mail on Wed. just to be safe or whatever day you think is best. 

I love you all. I am having a great time and love it here. The work is really picking up and we are ready to "baptize" the people who are ready. 

Love, 
Hermana Porter. 
 
 
SHOUT OUTS
Daddy
AMANDA
Laura (card)
Mom
Luke Gillenwater


Christmas Present Ideas.
My mini black scriptures
Tights, preferable black
Mini PMG
Cardigans from target. They are ALL super cute. The ones from target are holding up the best. (xxl)
Sharpie Pens
Zebra Pens
Post it notes
stamps
pretty paper
study journals. 
But whatever you send, I will be happy with. Super excited for the tshirt quilt. 

1 comment:

  1. we miss u so much over here in new albany keep up the good work all our love from back home

    ReplyDelete