Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week 4

H. Garcia H. Henderson Me H. Warner and H. Davis.
They left this week to go to Peru. They were our sister trainers.

I CANNOT BELIEVE KATE AND WILLIAM ARE HAVING ANOTHER BABY!!!!!! This was the best news, I'm so stinkin excited! When I read the letters (one from mom and one from Sarah) saying it I started to cry. My whole district thought that we referred to Sarah's family as "the royal family" and I was happy that Sarah was pregnant. They, however, laughed at me when they realized that I was that excited about the Royal family in England having a baby. I will never live it down but that is okay.
THURSDAY
We went to the temple center. We didn't get the chance to do a session but we got to take pictures outside and go through the visitors center. It was a great time and I loved it. 
FRIDAY
We watched a video in class today called "I'm Holding You". It was about a lady whose husband told her he was cheating on her the day before Christmas and told her that he was leaving her but they should stay together for the holidays so it doesn't ruin it for everyone. She said all she wanted to feel was comfort and when she was holding her niece she felt as if she was holding the savior as a baby and then she heard a whisper in her ear, no I am holding you. It just made me realize that Jesus really is holding us through everything that we do. He wants us to be happy and have joy and He knows that is hard sometimes but He loves us and knows what we are feeling. 
This night we were suppose to teach Cecilio but he (Hmo Solomon) had a meeting with the stake president so we taught his girlfriend Yanis (pronounced Janice and she was also Ana) instead. She was a less active member who had served a mission but as soon as she got home she became inactive because of school and work and she just didn't have time. We mostly just asked her for advice on the mission and we shared with her that Heavenly Father loves her even though she isn't going to church. She committed to go out with us once this week and to come to church on Sunday. Afterwards she told us that we did a really good job and it was an awesome lesson. 
SATURDAY
We had another BOM activity today and we studied Alma 22.  Verse 12 really stood out to me when Aaron saw that the king wanted to hear and believe his word so he shared with him from the scriptures. This got me to thinking about how many times I've known someone to be ready to hear about the gospel but didn't have to words to say. It made me feel so embarrassed that I wasn't more open about sharing my love of the savior before I left and all the people I missed bringing happiness to because I was too scared to open my mouth. 
I've also been trying to work on service. A girl who sleeps in the room next to us (we have a slightly joined bathroom) was bawling her eyes out in the shower. We decided to heart-attack their door. She then wrote us a super nice letter telling us how much she is going through and how much that helped her. It made me feel good that such a simple act could make someones life just a little better. 
SUNDAY
For Relief Society we watched Pres Monson's conference talk from April. It was all centered on love. One line that really stood out was "The most important thing is our ability to recognize someone's need and then respond to that need." and that is the thing I've been trying to do. It is really hard but it makes me feel better whenever I do it. 
We had a devotional by Elder Bednar. He explained that the gift of tongues doesn't come until you've opened you mouth and started talking. The leap of faith is first required and then the blessing is given. 
MONDAY
We taught a lesson with Cecilio. We just read 1 Nephi 1 with him and at the end, Hmo Solomon sat us down and told us that it was the  best lesson he has ever heard or seen taught at the CCM. He said that he was going through some personal things and it really helped him as a person. The weird thing is none of us felt like the lesson was going very well but I think all that matters is that the investigators feel what your saying is true. 
TUESDAY
Both of my companions were sick so not a lot happened. We just had class all day. 
That night our devotional was by Elder M. Russell Ballard. He did so good. I wish you guys could be hearing these things. I love them so much. He told us we need to work hard and do the best that we can. That is so true and that is all that the Lord expects. He just wants us to work hard and He knows we can finish it, He will fulfill the other stuff we can't do. 
WEDNESDAY
We taught Karina about the law of chastity today. We were really nervous about how she would take it. She took it really well and said that she would go home and talk with her boyfriend about moving out or getting married. She also said that she would invite him to our next lessons. We were really excited about that. 
QUESTIONS
How's it going with your companions?
My companions and I are doing alright. We have our ups and downs. We really struggle with including everyone's ideas. 
What is the weather like there?
The weather is perfect. Mexico has 0 humidity and it is 70 every day with a nice breeze. 

What is the funniest thing that happened all week?We were all singing songs that we had sung as a kid and someone brought up that Shark song. We all started to sing it along with doing the motions. Hma Santiago then told us that this is why everyone in Mexico thinks gringos are freaks. We were all laughing so hard about it. Also, E. Frame farted in class. 

Are you getting use to the food?
Food still stinks and I'm a little blocked if you know what I mean. I've been trying to eat more fruits and veggies but they don't serve many of those here. Chocolate milk is back and that is a plus. 

How much are you walking a day?
I'm not sure how much I'm walking. 7,000 to 10,000 steps I think. We sit for long periods of time which stinks. 

Which skirt ripped?My skirt from Downeast Basics that was gray and had the little flower things on it. 

Did you get to go into the temple or just to the grounds?Just temple ground and the visitors center. 

What is the city like?It is so cool and different than America. Brad would love it because of all the graffiti on everything. It is a lot busier than America too. There is always horns and sirens coming from outside. 

What are you studying in PMG?
So many different things. You don't get a lot of study just for you. It is all for the investigator. I am studying a lot on patience this week and I'm trying to work hard on improving that. Also the commandments. 

Which shoes do you wear the most?
I wear my favorite shoes the most. The Clark's that look casual. 

Are you homesick at all?
Not yet. I love receiving letters and pictures though. I'm mostly just sad that I cant tell you guys everything that is happening every day. I'm trying to write it down so I can get the most out of it. 

SHOUT-OUTS
Shout-out to Sarah for the letter this week and picture of Ella! (her hair is too cute)
Mimi (aka Sharon) your letter made my day. 
Grandma and Grandpa for reading the blog
Abby Ringstrom 
Laura Faulstick for the letter I got. Loved it. 
Momma Misty
And Daddy.
Sorry if i forgot anyone. 
Love you all and Have a great week,

Hermana Porter
 
PS I'm getting nervous about leaving the CCM because I love it here. I love the structured environment and I love everything. I'm scared that once I get to the field it won't be as busy and I will have time to think of home and get homesick. I really don't want that to happen. I plan to work hard though. 
The donuts were fab!

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Enjoyed hearing about your experiences. Have great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Sweet Girl. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete