Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week 3

Hermana Henderson, H. Warner, Me, H. Presley, H. Taoa

Mexico City Temple


Me and Josh Smith!!!


Week 3

Dear Everyone,
I am not actually sure what week it is because nothing really ever starts on Monday. They say we are on week 4 but yesterday marked officially week 3. So that's where I'm at. 
This week has been rough especially companion wise. I'll get all the bad stuff out of the way that way we end on a good note. 
We have had a lot of contention this week and it really affected our relationship. We have different views of our purpose here and how far along we should be with the language and everything in between that. H. Henderson thinks we should be fluent and every time we would start to master something she would find something else that was nearly impossible to reach. That was really aggravating to me considering every time we don't reach something I take it personally. I was crying every day and I just was really unhappy. I finally talked to Hermana Santiago about it can she came up with some things that really helped us. We were already having companionship inventory every night and that wasn't seeming to help so she told us to keep doing that but also to start writing 5 things we like about ourselves, so that we can see the good in ourselves and we aren't comparing how were doing to how our companions are doing. She also told us to write 5 good things about each companion and then share them with each other. I think that activity really helped us see our individual worth and the greatness God sees in us. We have been doing a lot better since then. 

I didn't write out the major things of every night this week so my thought may be a bit jumbled. 

Sunday is the night that great things happened. Relief Society was all about John 15 and pruning the tree. Hermana Pratt (MTC Pres. Wife) talked about how trees only have so much energy and the more fruit on the tree the smaller the fruit grows but when you prune the tree it can grow more fruit and it will be bigger and better. She said as missionaries we have the same problem. We only have so much energy and that is why we have to give up our family and our TV and games and everything like that. We need to be focusing on the big things in life and give all our energy to that.  That really stood out to me and made be feel better about giving everything up. I just need to dedicate this time to the Lord. 

Shawn Cates spoke. He and his family (BEAUTIFUL wife and ADORABLE 3 kids) live here at the MTC and they take care of all the grounds stuff and he is also a teacher. He had so many great thoughts. 
1. The decisions we make now affect our future. How serious we take this calling as a missionary can affect our life forever and that could change it for the better. 
2. Everything gets easier IF we persist. Not because it becomes easier but because our will to do it becomes stronger. That hit me deep in the chest. The more we keep working the better we get because the more we will want to accomplish it. 
3. Don't dwell on the things from the past. The past is meant to be learned from not dwelt on. Don't doubt the Lords ability to give you a better future. I think that speaks for itself. 
4. STAY ON TARGET, YOURE A DISEASE. He kept saying this throughout the night and then at the end he explained it to us. It means never give up. Keep working hard. Keep doing something because even if you don't like it, it will become like a disease and stick to you. 
5. The reason that got you on a mission is a different reason than why you'll stay. 
6. GOD GAVE UP 1/3 OF THE HOST OF HEAVEN FOR US TO HAVE AGENCY. Agency is important. 

Monday was Mexican Night. Tuesday was Mexican independence day so we had a party. There were tons of dancers and stuff and it was awesome. I recorded a video and ill try to send it. 

Tuesday we watched Elder Scott live from Provo. It was amazing. I had already heard it before but he just kept talking about prayer. He had given the same talk twice but this time some things that stood out to me were different than the last two. The thing that I realized most is that You are Gods child. He wants to help you. That really touched me because I had never though of prayer like that. 

Wednesday we (me and my comps) had no contention. We taught an awesome lesson to Karina about the plan of salvation and some of the commandment. She committed to daily scripture reading and daily praying. She's already committed to be baptized. We really have connected with her and she is progressing great. (She is just our teacher but it is still really exciting.) 
WE TAUGHT A REAL LIFE NON MEMBER. It was so great. Her name was Liliana and she had us teach her about prayer. She has only lived in Mexico for 1 week and she was looking for a church to attend. One of her friends is Mormon and she decided to try us out. The Missionaries asked her if she would be willing to come to the MTC and have us teach her. She said  our Spanish was really good for only having had 4 weeks of learning. I really had the gift of discernment. I understood almost all that she said and I felt on fire. It was so great to feel like I was finally making progress. I also broke a table today in the lunch room which then ripped my skirt. It had to be one of the most embarrassing moments. (The skirt in not reparable incase you were wondering. The table however should be fixed in about a week. )

Today we went to the Temple and it was great. We watched this awesome video called Gods Plan and it is all about eternal families. It made me extremely grateful for the opportunity we have to live together for every. Go watch the video for me. I wish

I could watch it all day. 

Sorry this week is super jumbled. I will write out what happens every night so next week will be better. 

Love you 

Hermana Porter.
My favorite Elders.  Elder Anderson (with glasses) and Elder Garbaro (red hair)
My friends left this week and I'm so sad.
 H. Webb H. Veazie me H. Bacy and H. Marble

 
At the Visitors Center
I LOVE H. Jones.  She is the most motherly lady ever!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment