Monday, January 11, 2016

December 28, 2015


Car Selfie.  We are waiting on the Elders to bring the other Sister's car back so they could leave.


I can hardly being I just experienced my 2nd and last Christmas in the Mission. Along with the last Christmas it was also the last phone call I got to make home. It honestly amazes me how quickly time flies. I could of sworn it was just yesterday that I was with Hna Hurley in N. Sac and I got my tooth knocked out. Can't believe it has been a year already with Derek (the name of my fake tooth.)

I thoroughly enjoyed talking to the whole family on Christmas. It was good to get a sneak peak of what I will be coming home to. It also gave me motivation to keep strong until the end. Not only do I have 4 BIG siblings looking to my example, I've also got 10 little nieces and nephews who will remember the one time their aunt Hannie served a mission. Heavenly Father has blessed me so much and I can only imagine the blessings he is giving to my family. I don't think I will ever be able to see all the blessings we have received in the last 18 months.

As I reflected on Christmas and what it means to me the definition of others came to mind. First, gifts and giving. Next, time with family. As I was thinking about this Christmas I was thinking that I'm 1. not going to get a lot of gifts and 2. not going to be with family. As I pondered those 2 ideas I then though of this "I don't get worldly gifts, but I get the best gift of all, giving others eternal life. I get to give them the message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Because of that, I will be blessed eternally. Not only will my family get to spend time together for eternity but so will others because of my service for the last 18 months." I know the birth of Christ was just the beginning of the plan out heavenly father has for us. If Christ has never been born, we would never get to experience the joy of the atonement or the feeling of peace we get from the knowledge that our families have the ability to be together for eternity through the restored power of the priesthood.

As I enter into the new year a question, that a missionary who has returned home asked me, rings in my ears. He said "What are you doing now, to grow your testimony." I've reflected that question for the past week I have had, this is how my testimony has grown this last week. The people we are currently working with would make the testimony of any person grow. It still amazes me, even after 16 months in the mission, that people are just willing to leave behind everything they have ever know and join the restored gospel. I'm not sure if I'd have the strength. To see their dedication in reading the scriptures and learning everything about this great message we share. They make the change to go to church for 3 hours on Sunday, study the scriptures throughout the week and say prayers at night. Literally changing everything about their life. How could this not be the restored gospel? I'm so so SO thankful to my Heavenly Father for this time I have been chosen to preach His gospel and help His children return to Him. There is truly, no greater calling.

I am so thankful for the service I am able to give as the Lords Representative. I'm thankful that I am learning now things that will help me be a better sister, daughter, mother, and wife and a better instruments in the Lords kingdom.

I'd like to invite all of you to think about what you are going to do this week to help your testimony grow.

love,
Hermana porter.
         
Elder Williams.  We are still best friends even after being away from each other for 3 months.
 
My Comp.  Hermana Pimentel.
 
Exchanges with Hermana Alacraz are always fun.  She is such a hard worker.  She taught me so much.  I remembered what a good lesson felt like.

Lodi Reunion!!  Elder Bell, me, and Elder Yuson.  They are characters.  We got to see each other at the Mission Christmas Devotional.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment